Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Decide who you are ...and be that

I used to be a big fan of the show M.A.S.H.   I still like it, but not for the humor, but for the occasional nugget of real wisdom that I hear in these old re runs 

For example in one episode BJ and Hawkeye are ribbing Charles on taking too long to operate. His response is a stunning nugget of Sales GOLD .  " I do one thing at a time, I do it very well, and then I move on. "

You see, I have learned that I would rather do one thing great, than to do a number of things and only do them adequately

>First, however you have to decide who you are professionally, and what you can do well

For me it is clear :   I am a Sales Manager, I manage deals, and motivate sales people to achieve .

I am not a technician, I am not an accountant, nor am I able to do those things well . Sure , I understand technical aspects of my product, and I have an understanding of the numbers. But I could not be successful in either of these roles.  Why?   Because I am a Sales manager.

>Once we have have cleared up our role, we must get to work on doing it well.

Mastering one's craft used be a source of pride in this country.  You started a new job as an apprentice then worked your way up to an assistant and then worked from there to be certified, and after much learning and work you were considered to have mastered the craft.  Today we seem reluctant to put in the effort or the time needed to really master anything.

Success takes work.    There is no short cut here, You simply cannot be a great sales person and not put in the work.   It takes Study, practice, rehearsal, and a focus on the goal .

STUDY
 I have not done this up to this point in my blog, but I would like to make you a few recommendations of trainers that I know to be the best at what they do:
Mike Whitty   -> www.mikewhitty.com
Grant Cardone - > www.grantcardone.com
Paul Cummings -> www.paulcummings.com
Dan Waldschmidt -> www.edgeofexplosion.com

These folks do not pay me to endorse them, nor do they even know that their sites are recommended here, but I know they are committed individuals and have dedicated their lives to developing great sales teams.

PRACTICE & REHEARSE
  I have said this before   sell everyone !!  your kids, your spouse, your team mates, anyone who will stand still long enough !!!!!  practice and rehearse your presentation.  work on it until it is second nature.  learn to sell with purpose, and a plan. know where you are in the presentation, and be able to anticipate what is coming next. be prepared.

FOCUS
  Remind your self every day what it is you are working for.  write down your goals and read them every morning. remember the words of YODA  " Do or do not, there is no try "


Sell like your living depends on it
Donnie

No comments:

Post a Comment